Friday, 7 January 2011

More pictures, and a note on grimdark...

First off, to indulge those who are here to gawk at the pics:
Tactical squad 'Dimicatio', led by a veteran sergeant.
Hopefully you will notice that the standard of the painting on these is better than the previous squad I posted. That is because I face-lifted squad 'Martis' from my first AOBR mini's, hence the incredibly wide line highlights. I am much more pleased with 'Dimicatio'.

You may have noticed that my Ultra's are not quite the same as most others out there. I eschew the bright blue armour and keep my palette 1 - 2 shades lighter than the GW style, which I hope lends less of a cartoony feel. I find it also helps the highlights pop a little more, and the white to shine out nice and pure (just like Ultramarines should be).

Another little stylistic quirk that is quite unusual is my technique for tanks. You should be able to see what I mean from this picture where the effect is somewhat pronounced;

I have attempted to give all the tanks in this army a 'marbled' kind of look by stippling various layers of black and different shades of blue. By pure coincidence, this coincides quite well the background of the logo for the new Ultramarines movie released by Games Workshop which is a very similar textured dark blue. I was quite pleased with that when I first saw it.
The technique I use at the moment is to use a very large, stiff bristled brush to stipple on the paint, but this does leave a *very* slight texture to the finish. When I paint the next one, I intend to use a sponge to try and create the same effect, and hopefully save some time in the process. I'll keep you posted on how that goes when I finally get 5 minutes to try it.

Till next time...

6 comments:

  1. Nice marines you have there! I just sold my entire 5th company of Smurfs (hence my name and why it has stuck!). Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fantastic. I especially like the use of the checkerboard on the one marine. Mind if I ask what it signifies?

    Also, are you planning on posting any close-ups of the free-hand on the rhino? It looks great from a far, but I'd like to see how you did that.

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pattern on the rhino. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those marines look great, and the rhino motif is just fantastic. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers for the comments guys, very encouraging!

    @Warhammer39999
    The checkerboard effect runs throughout the army. It's a frequently used effect in the Codex Astartes, and I'm using it quite heavily because I think it gives something of a mosaic feel that ties in nicely with the roman-style acanthus patterning on the rhino's. You'll see it crop it in various styles if you keep your eyes peeled when I post more pics.

    I'd be happy to post close ups of the freehand work. At the moment Blighty has my camera, but when he has finished taking photos of his orks, I'll throw some up here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love the effect--it's so classic 2nd edition. I just didn't know if you were using it to designate anything specifically: for instance squad leader, etc.

    ReplyDelete